The order of the columns in a table in a Power BI dataset doesn’t matter all that much, especially because the Fields pane in Power BI Desktop ignores the original column order and lists the columns in a table in alphabetical order. However there are a few situations where it is important, for example when you are using the DAX Union() function in a calculated table: as the documentation states, when you use Union() “Columns are combined by position in their respective tables”. You might also find it irritating if the columns you see in the Data or Relationships panes in the main Power BI Desktop window make it hard to browse the data or create relationships.
In NAV when building a custom report that deals with totalling the amount by multiple G/L accounts by week then the report becomes tough to read as well as develop in standard SSRS Report. A possible and easy workaround is dumping all the entries in the Excel and performing the pivot table operation on the entries to give a precise results.
About two years ago I wrote a blog post describing how the #table M function can be used to generate tables, but in that post I only covered the functionality I used regularly – namely using #table with a list of column names or a table type in the first parameter. However there two other variations on #table that I have used recently that I thought were worth pointing out.
I wrote a blog on this topic a few years ago over at PowerPivotPro.com. I have learnt a lot about Power Query since that time, plus Power Query has come along in leaps and bounds, and it now has a lot more capability than it had previously. Today I am going to write a new post showing you how to build a reusable Calendar Table using Power Query.
With this blog post, Microsoft announced the March update of the Developer Preview. The usual Docker images will be publicly available on April 2nd and will contain the Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central release candidate.
In the blog post Microsoft listed a number of nice improvements and a lot of fixed issues. However, one of the improvements didn’t make it to the blog post, maybe because it was also discussed in one of the issues on GitHub.
Anyway, it is an import feature, so I’m going to explain it here. The tableextension object has four new triggers: