The problem of blank values being shown in a Power BI slicer is fairly well known, but did you know that in some circumstances slicers can show other values that you would not expect to see? While there’s a good reason for this it can nevertheless be mildly confusing for developers and end users alike when it happens.
In addition to integrating Power BI into Business Central, it could be useful to be able to use a fast access portal or receive scheduled reports from Power BI automatically without going through the complete Power BI (Pro and Premium) solution. All this is already existing and usable if I use Power BI Premium license or Pro license, or if I integrate MS-Flow, MS-Sharepoint Online etc. etc
Although the conditional formatting by rules feature in Power BI was released a long time ago, one very common cause of confusion is with how to implement basic “greater than” or “less than” rules. For example, say you have a table with the following data in it:
I was doing some online shopping last week and saw a price slicer with a histogram to show the concentration of price points. I thought it was pretty cool, so decided to see if I could build this in Power BI. I came up with a solution that works, and in this article I show you how you can do it yourself.
There was a new feature released in the June 2019 version of Power BI Desktop that I really like and I think warrants some explanation and review. The new feature allows you to pre-filter a slicer so that it only contains a subset of values that would otherwise appear in that slicer.
There was an announcement made a few weeks ago by Microsoft that nearly slipped under my radar. I don’t always read the more technical announcements because I don’t have a highly technical background. Luckily I read this particular announcement as it contained a nugget of gold that is very useful for anyone with a business background that wants to learn more about the Power BI APIs.
Recently I found I needed to remove all the HTML tags from some text in Power Query. I searched and found a great – if complex – function from Marcel Beug here, but I realised that since that post was written the Html.Table M function has been added to the language and that it makes the task very easy. In fact it’s basically the same as the solution I blogged about here for extracting URLs from a web page.